A comma-separated values (CSV) file is a simple file format used to store tabular data, such as a spreadsheet or database.
In concrete, CSV is a text file that uses a comma to separate values. Each line of the file is a data record. Each record consists of one or more fields, separated by commas.
A CSV file will open as a .csv file in your computer's native text editor, but it's recommended that you use a spreadsheet program to view and edit your CSV files instead. To work a CSV file we recommend either:
Using the CSV file with Google Sheets
Opening the CSV
- Log in to your Google account.
- On the Google Sheets page, click Blank in the Start a new spreadsheet section.
- From the Untitled Spreadsheet page, go to File > Import...:
- Locate and select the CSV file that you want to edit.
- In the Import file dialog, select your preferred options under the Import action: 'Separator character: comma', and 'Convert text to numbers, dates, and formulas: No'.
- On top, when the file is ready, click 'Open now'
Export the CSV
When you are done viewing or editing your CSV file in Google Sheets, you can export it as a .csv file to your computer.
From your CSV spreadsheet page, go to File > Download as > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).
Using the CSV file with Libre Office
Opening the CSV
As you open a CSV file with Libre Office, you must pay attention to respect the following criteria:
- Character Set: Unicode UTF-8
- Separator: Comma
- Column type: Text
Your CSV files must always use UTF-8 encoding
If you are updating a CSV file export, then remember to confirm the UTF-8 encoding to avoid generating unwanted special characters in your file. If you save your file after forgetting to confirm its UTF-8 encoding, then your data will be corrupted when you upload it as a new spreadsheet. Magnetiq can't recover corrupted files for you.
Using CSV files to add products to Magnetiq
If you need details about using CSV files to add products to Magnetiq, then see the dedicated article Importing products with a CSV file.